There are so so so many amazing shows to watch, this list barely even brushes the surface. I’ve broken it into two parts – the first 5 are shows I’ve binged (more than once in some cases), and the second are shows I’m planning on watching. I kept it to shows that have more than 1 season & had a great time choosing just 10. I know a few of them are over suggested (GoT, I’m looking at you!), but sometimes that’s for a reason.
Shows I Watched & Loved:
- Father Brown
- This is by far the odd man out in the list – I don’t generally go for shows that have anything to do with ‘saving souls’, but I really enjoy this one. It’s your basic 1950s British cozy murder mystery show (my favorite) but the main character is a priest who does a bit of moralizing at least once in every episode. I will say, Father Brown is chill regarding things that the Catholic church is decidedly not-chill about. I wouldn’t be able to watch the show if it wasn’t modernized a bit. Also, Sid Carter is my favorite character in all of television.
- Bob’s Burgers
- I once got incredibly sick and spent days in bed watching tv. This show was my constant companion and to this day I have a soft spot for it. It’s cute, quirky, slightly dumb, but also smart and I love rewatching episodes on bad days.
- The X-Files
- Shane and I watched the first set of seasons together on a computer monitor while in college, so maybe it just has a warm and fuzzy place in my heart because of that. I don’t really know how to describe it, but I love it.
- This is Shane’s favorite show, and I think we’re due a rewatch pretty soon. It’s a retelling of a ton of Grimm’s fairy tales, and can be a pretty dark watch. It gets pretty bananas at some points.
- Death in Paradise
- Another British cozy murder mystery show. Do not go to Saint Marie on vacation, because you will straight up be murdered. It’s present-day, surprisingly non-violent for the most part, and the bad guy is always caught. Can’t ask for more.
Shows I’ve Been Told to Watch & Love:
- Game of Thrones
- I’m currently watching this one! I’m only on episode 5 of season 1 though. I know a lot of what happens over the series (so far) because I spend a lot of time on the internet and I’m pretty excited to see where things go.
- The Great British Bake Off
- This is my next feel-good watch. I’ve heard so many good things about this show I’m excited to see if it’s a good lazy winter day watch.
- This show just looks badass. I can’t wait to watch it obsessively over the course of several weeks.
- Downton Abbey
- I’m legitimately baffled as to how I’ve gone this long without watching Downton Abbey. It covers my (current) favorite period of English history, so it’s definitely on my list!
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- I know why I haven’t watched this one – I read the book at a very charged time in my life and I have lots of feelings about it. I know the show is amazing, and is similar yet wildly different from the book so I’m absolutely up to watching it. I just needed some time before I did.