This weekend I’m going to be having an all day Christmas Movie Marathon with an old friend (called Christmaspalooza, an annual tradition) & while thinking about what movies we might want to watch I decided to post about my favorite Christmas movies. There’s no way we’ll watch these, since we only watch bad Christmas Romances, but I’ll watch of all of these at some point in December.
- The Holiday – This is by far my favorite Christmas movie. All the main characters are fantastic and the supporting characters are perfect. Who doesn’t want to swap houses with a stranger and then fall in love in a foreign country?
- Dear Santa – I have no idea how I found this movie, but watching it is an annual tradition. It has all the things – spoiled little rich girl, single dad that runs a food kitchen, adorable little girl, scheming girlfriend, an ensemble of wise friends. It just makes me happy.
- Desk Set – A friend of mine introduced me to this movie and I LOVE IT. It’s about a man trying to install an enormous computer (the movie was made in 1957) for reference questions in a broadcasting company’s library and the sassy librarian who gives him trouble. It has Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn and I can’t believe I made it to adulthood without seeing it.
- Bad Santa – This is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures for me. I have no defense.
- Elf – How is this movie 15 years old? I can’t believe it’s been a staple in the Christmas movie lineup for that long.
- The Santa Clause – I’ve been watching this since I was a little one and I will never stop.
- Home Alone – Samesies.
- A Christmas Prince – I enjoy this movie against my will, and I will be watching the sequel this weekend.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – Classic. Who doesn’t love It’s a Wonderful Life?
- All the classic animated Christmas movies from the 60s/70s (Frosty the Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer…you know the ones). – Unlike the others in this list, I actually haven’t seen these in a few years and I’m sure they’re very ‘of the time’ but they will always be special to me.
Let me know if I’m missing any on your favorites list!