There are a few things that I *have* to have to make Christmas a good Christmas. Two of them I discovered this year, oddly enough.
- One of those Terry Oranges. Why? No idea. It’s an institution, though.
- Real oranges, because I read Little House on the Prairie as a child.
- Haystack Cookies! They’re my favorite Christmas cookie and I adore them. I’ll post the recipe tomorrow. I’m not really set up for recipes, but we’ll figure it out.
- Making a Gingerbread House….from a kit. I hate I haven’t made mine yet, but I think I’ll be able to tomorrow or Friday. Even if I’m not home to enjoy it because of Christmas travel, the experience is important.
- Christmas movies, obviously.
The two I discovered this year:
- Southern Comfort Eggnog – it comes without booze and I mix it with chocolate milk and nutmeg. Delicious.
- If I do feel the need for some adult beverage, I put Kahlua and/or Irish Cream.
- Matching pjs – see my roundup from yesterday.
A couple of traditions I might want to start:
- Eating pizza with just the lights from the tree. I think I got this from a mommy blog, so if you recognize it please let me know so I can give her credit.
- Putting out our shoes for St Nicholas Day (Dec 6th). I spent my first 6 years in the Netherlands and this is something they do there – I did it in Kindergarten and 1st grade. I’m not Dutch, but it’s a super nostalgic thing for me anyway.
- Buying an ornament that represents the year. I wish we had gotten an Acadia National Park one last year. I don’t know what we’d get this year.
- Holiday fondue on a night that’s just Shane and I. One year my mom and I had a Thanksgiving fondue while my dad was overseas and it was super fun. I think it’d be a nice tradition.
I really love Christmas and want more actual traditions instead of just things that happen to happen in December.