35 started out rough, but has become one of my favorite ages. I expect 36 to be one for the record books as well. Personally & professionally. The world is still going to shit, so there will always be that yawning pit of blackness in my stomach. But I want to focus on what I can control.
I hope there is a return to precedented times, that my mellow is not harshed, and that I keep learning, growing, and reaching all year long. I look forward to stepping out of my comfort zone, settling into this life Shane and I are building, and creating relationships that last with people I enjoy.
So here’s to 36! I hope you come along on my journey this year. It’s going to be fun.
I’ve never had one of these before, but y’all know how much I love lists that I may or may not follow through with. Shane made a few contributions to this, as well, without me telling him I was doing it.
So here goes 10 things I want to do this month.
- Weekend trip to Jacksonville
- We’ve visited the Ikea on a day trip, and went to see the Trans-siberian Orchestra there last December, but we haven’t gotten to explore.
- Sushi dinner
- Any excuse for sushi, honestly.
- Dinner at Truffle Fries.
- Also known as Circa 1875, but Truffle Fries really captures why I love that place so much.
- High tea!
- So fancy, and in an old pharmacy so Shane will be right at home.
- Not something I do often, not even every year, but it’s so nice when I do.
- Go to the movies.
- We were given a giftcard to the movies for Christmas that is burning a hole in my pocket.
- The Traditional Birthday Target Trip
- Every word capitalized because that’s how important it is. I haven’t been super impressed with the Targets around here, but I live in hope, lol.
- Get a tattoo consult.
- I’ve never gotten a tattoo, but I always knew I’d get one eventually. 2023 is the year.
- Dinner at Wild Wings
- Somehow, the Wild Wings near us has become our default celebration dinner spot. I don’t question it.
- Start a new journal.
- I’m about 15ish pages from the end of my current journal, so I’m just going to start a brand new one on my birthday.
I’m genuinely curious as to how many of these are accomplished this month. I’m aiming for all 10, honestly. Make it my first list with a 100% completion rate.
The Jacksonville trip is planned, as is the Target trip, and I’ve picked out my next journal. That’s 3 right there. Maybe I’ll look for a sushi place in Jax.
That’s right, my birthday month. Over the years, I’ve scaled back my birthday celebrations, but 2023 is getting a full month of shenanigans. In the last 4ish years, I’ve gone through some of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through. Somehow, I came out the other end happier and healthier than I ever have been. I think that deserves a month of celebrating.
I have always loved my birthday and will probably always love my birthday, but some years are more celebratory than others. This year’s feels like a huge win, and I plan on reveling in it.
Let’s be honest, though. I wasn’t a crazy kid even when I was a kid, so shenanigans will 100% be at the old lady level of shenaniganry.
I’m excited about spending this month celebrating everything I’ve overcome and have become in the past few years. I know the world is still very much shit, but I’m still here.